All You Need to Know About Pallet Conveyors
Pallet conveyors have now become an integral part of operations and logistics management. In this post we’ll be discussing what are these conveyors, what features should an ideal conveyor system possess, what are some types of conveyors, how to use them and why these conveyors are so significant for your business.
What are Conveyors?
Conveyors are a must have for logistics and material management. Their major function is to move and store the products and are indispensable for medium to large scale manufacturing facilities. Other than the size of the facility, the nature of the product is important to be considered. To what extent is the product standardized, determines the need to install pallet conveyors at the production house.
Type of conveyors are categorized based on the size, setup, and other unique needs of the customer. They generally consist of a driving component, a conveying component, support for both driving and conveying system and then the required controls. It’s of no surprise that these conveyors are made of carbon or stainless steel.
Generally, they are installed at any part of the room be it on the roof, floor or the work level; they are made for appropriate storage and movement of the product.
Manufacturers of conveyor systems usually tailor the system as per the customer needs with customized and unequal paths that are unique for every industry.
Features that a Conveyor System should possess
Following criteria should be followed while deciding about the appropriate conveyor system for your production facility:
1. Adaptability: The conveyor system should be adaptable and flexible to respond to changes such as technological advancement, facility expansion, and replace-ability.
2. Durable: Since conveyor requires a proper investment, companies should make sure if the investment would be worth it; thus, the system should be long lasting.
3. Energy conservation: There is an additional cost associated with the pallet conveyors and it’s that of electricity. Customers should make sure to choose conveyors which consume less electricity and have similar productivity levels.
4. Maintenance: Along with durability, short term costs are also important. The conveyors should require minimum maintenance, for smooth running of the operations and the parts should be available in the local market only.
5. Noise level: This one is probably the most underrated one, but is very important factor to consider for your employees who work at the factory. Noise level of the conveyors should be least.
Importance of Pallet Conveyors
Generally, operations of material handling are segregated into four divisions that are managing bulk products, bottles/finished goods, boxes and pallets.
These four areas are dealt in a different manner and require conveyor systems with distinct characteristics and key features.
Question is, why are these conveyor systems so important?
Following are some of the reasons to note:
1. Efficiency: If your product is more of standardized than customized, then pallet conveyors are all you need for your operations to be cost effective. An addition of pallet conveyors to your production facility would allow you to be productive and hence a rising profit curve could be observed.
2. Organized: Imagine a production facility entirely in the hands of human beings, in which there are high chances that the operators would work according their very own will. Pallet conveyors help your facility to look neat, tidy and organized at all times which not gives a good impression to a visitor but also helps you to point out flaws easily.
3. Quick: When pallet conveyors become an integral part of your operations, your overall operations time reduces and you’re able to fulfill the consignments on time. It further helps you to decrease the number of hindrances and interruptions in the system.
4. Reduced number of errors: Since pallet conveyors are automatic, they don’t require a personnel to operate it; hence the chances of errors are minimized and are very less as compared to a traditional forklift.
5. Displacement: Once the product passes the production line, it is generally observed that huge piles are formed which often create stoppage in the system; thus increasing the lead time; but an installation of pallet conveyors will help you solve this foreseen hassle and will place your place the pallets such that they are ideal to wrap.
Thus, for a company which has a continuous and standardized flow of operations, pallet conveyors are a MUST HAVE.
6. Modularity: Conveyors can be tailored as per the customer needs, facility area, weights that they handle, type of platform, etc., as they are quite similar to mechano.
7. Higher Throughout Rate: A combined result of all the factors mentioned above, is seen in the form of an increased throughput rate which in turn increases the overall productivity of the operations.
Types of Conveyors
Conveyors are either motorized or gravity based. The gravity equipment is economical comparatively, and it incorporates gravitational force to enable movement and storage. Band, plastic mesh or roller comes under motorized equipment. A motorized conveyor does not necessarily accumulate products; the function can be nullified by choice.
How to use Conveyors?
Conveyors are mainly installed to avoid any chances of errors and enable smooth flow of operations. Following is how they can be used:
1. They can be deployed at the end of the assembly lines in case there is a low volume.
2. Conveyors can be installed before the process starts that is at the workstations.
3. They can also be installed as temporary storage products to reduce the burden of handling heavy weights.
Generally, a conveyor operates in either one of the three ways.
1. It picks up the product and lifts it on the conveyor system.
2. It carries the product in a horizontal manner and move it to a long distance.
3. It goes against the gravity and moves the product upward vertically.
In light of the above discussion, we can conclude that pallet conveyors are indispensable for making operations smooth and efficient. If your product is standardized and is produced in a larger volume, then pallet conveyors are a must have. They can make your overall operations organized and transparent and can help you to fulfill your consignments and targets on time, so that you can go ahead of your competitor.